Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Who needs memory tools?
So far I haven't mentioned that I am also into translations and work freelance from home. Yesterday as I was looking for something - a mosaic of the goddess of justice to be precise, as I was translating legal material and wanted to post a little something about it - I came across a mosaic of goddess Mnimosini - Μνημοσύνη or Μνήμη (Memory or Remembrance) and the association between mosaic and translation was spontaneous as most translators use what we call CAT tools - computer assisted translation tools or Translation Memory tools. I am 99% convinced that this association is very crazy. But it's ok.
I came to realise (besides having a part of my brain malfunctioning seen the weird associations between things and pictures) that:
1. How seriously traditional I am
2. What a good memory I have (only when it comes to translating....!)
3. Why am I doing something else and not what I really love to do? (I know the answer and it's quite valid I am afraid).
4. Is it sane to do what finds you or to find what you want?
5. How ageless some concepts or principles are ! (the ancients had a goddess for memory - today isn't memory a precious brain function? ooops is that food burning ?)
As a result of the accidental encounter with Mnimosini mosaic and on the spur of the moment I decided that perhaps it's time that I learned some basic CAT tools...maybe